Fundraising for much needed additional equipment and services is a key part of what our charity is about. The demands on the NHS continue to grow as a result of the ageing population, developments in diagnostic and medical equipment and specialist treatments – and the demands cannot all be met from existing NHS budgets.
Hospital projects recently supported:
- Support for staff and patients during the Coronavirus outbreak
- Butterfly Appeal
- 6th Form Shadowing Project
- Vinyl transfers for children’s EEG assessment room
- Ipads to support therapy for stroke patients
- 315 Non-contact thermometers for Trust wide use
- Specialist chairs for elderly patients with dementia
- Specialist disabled toilet for the main entrance
- Contribution to the renovation of the Emergency Department
- Sleep packs for patients which include eye masks and ear plugs to reduce noise
We donated £20,000 in May 2020 for care boxes for staff and toiletry bags for patients to help during the Coronavirus outbreak. The boxes contain items requested by staff such as coffee, tea bags, squashes, pasta/noodles, porridge, cereal bars and toiletries. They were distributed throughout the hospital to all wards and departments and topped up over the following weeks.
Messages from grateful staff: “A huge thank you on behalf of all the Therapy staff for your lovely care packages received. They were much appreciated”.
“Thank you, thank you, thank you to Friends of York Hospitals! We are very pleased with our care box and appreciate being thought about during this time”.
300 toiletry bags for in-patients were also provided. They held a selection of care products for male or female patients. The bags were made and donated by a team of seamstresses in Scarborough.
£25,000 was donated to help to create a new maternity bereavement suite at York Hospital.
We funded the 6th Form shadowing Project in 2019 and 2020. The project gives local 6th form students the opportunity to meet with consultant medical staff, patients and multidisciplinary staff to get a wider view of medicine.
Considering a sponsored challenge?
If you are willing to tackle a challenge on behalf of the Friends of York Hospitals, we are willing to support you! For further details, including a sponsored challenge pack with information on how we can cover event entrance fees and help publicise your event, contact Andy White in the Friends’ office - Contact Us